Rayograph (untitled), 1922, by Man Ray
NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, November 4, 2022.
Delve into the fascinating history of photography as an art form in this unique program that combines a lecture with a hands-on project. Art historian and photographer Patricia Howard introduces the world of the photo surrealists—Man Ray, Laszlo Maholy Nagy, Hannah Höch, and others—and explores how they pushed the boundaries of photographic imagery in the 1920s to 1940s.
Photograms (or rayograms) were popularized by Man Ray and are camera-less images created with photographic materials. Collages were often created with found materials. In the hands-on portion of the program, participants will make their own surrealist collages. Participants will be given a list of materials—such as postcards, old magazines, glue, and scissors—to gather prior to the class.
The class is appropriate both for photographers of all experience levels as well as non-photographers interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the form’s technical and artistic evolution.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.