Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
Spring's Awakening: A Reflective Writing Workshop
Daytime Program on Zoom
Thursday, April 15, 2021 - 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. ET
"Almond Blossom", Vincent van Gogh, 1890; detail (Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam; Vincent van Gogh Foundation)
Discover the power of reflective writing guided by the founding instructor of the National Gallery of Art’s popular Writing Salon, Mary Hall Surface. Inspired by works of art by Vincent van Gogh and poetry by Mary Oliver, explore the lessons that the season of spring offers us when we slow down, look closely, and reflect. Designed for writers of all levels, the workshop invites you to look outward at paintings and poetry and to look inward through writing. These reflections can become creative fertile ground for memoir, poetry, and more.
Surface is a teaching artist, playwright, and theatre director and producer. She presents workshops nationwide in creative writing and drama as a Kennedy Center teaching artist and was a faculty member at Harvard’s Project Zero Classroom.
The workshop has a limited enrollment to maximize interaction among the instructor and students.
NOTE: This program is also available on April 8.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.