We take spices for granted today, but our spice cabinets are home to commodities that were once so exotic and desired that the excitement and competition they elicited spurred a complex sea trade that changed the course of history and the foods we eat.
Food writer Eleanor Ford draws on her new book The Nutmeg Trail as she traces the rich history of the ancient spice routes. She explores how centuries of international trade have influenced both how we eat and who we are. The spice routes— trading trails across the Indian Ocean—developed over thousands of years, laying the foundations for the modern world.
Learn about how spices are defined, how they changed the world, and how to set up a spice library. To spark your interest in putting that collection to use, Ford shares three recipes with distinctive spice flavor profiles, each inspired by the original trade routes that wove through Asia and the Middle East.
The Nutmeg Trail (Apollo Publishers) is available for sale.
Book Sale Information
- Purchase your copy of The Nutmeg Trail by Eleanor Ford here.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Politics and Prose is offering a 10% discount to Smithsonian Associates ticket-holders. To claim your discount, enter the code SPECIAL10 (no space between letters and numbers) in the “Coupon discount” section on Politics and Prose's check-out page.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.