Take a gastronomical journey to explore one of the world's most widely used and oldest spices, cumin. Humanity's appreciation of cumin stretches across millennia: It’s the only word in the English language that can be directly traced to Sumerian and is listed as an ingredient in an ancient recipe collection dating to 1750 B.C. Christine Rai discusses cumin's origins and history, culinary uses in global cuisines, and flavor profile and composition, and offers tips for using this internationally beloved spice.
Rai, a professor at Frederick Community College, has a passion for food studies, culture, and folklore.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.