Please call us at 202-633-3030 to register for this Overnight Tour, so we may confirm your room arrangements.
Southern Maryland’s Chesapeake Heritage: Exploring Calvert and St. Mary’s Counties
Depart: Saturday, May 4, 2019 - 8:00 am.
Return: Sunday, May 5, 2019 - 6:00 p.m.
Drum Point Lighthouse at the Calvert Marine Museum
Environmental historian Hayden Mathews weaves together threads of geological, cultural, social, and ecological history on a two-day tour that delves into the often-overlooked riches that Calvert and St. Mary’s counties offer to visitors.
The something-for-everyone itinerary covers a wide scope. Begin with a visit to Sottterly Plantation on the Patuxent River for a view of the land, lives, and labor that shaped this corner of the region from the 18th through 20th centuries. Then join an archeological historian for a tour Maryland’s first capital, St. Mary’s City, part living history museum and part archeological treasure trove, then take time to explore on your own.
Start your Sunday at the Annmarie Sculpture Gardens and Arts Center in Solomons, which sets a large collection of works in 30 acres of forests, fields, and meadows along St. John’s Creek. During a self-guided visit to the Calvert Marine Museum, delve into the pre-history, natural history, and maritime heritage of the Chesapeake Bay, then board a boat for a ride on the bay. After lunch, tour the nature center and follow the boardwalk at the Battle Creek Cypress Swamp Sanctuary, where magnificent trees echo an era 100,000 years ago when such swamps were common over large parts of the region and ancient mammoths roamed the landscape.
Overnight accommodations are at the Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina, located on the Back Creek waterfront.
- Cost includes bus transportation, lodging, all activities, and the following meals: 1 breakfast, 2 lunches and 1 dinner
- Overnight accommodations are at the Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina.
- Tour departs by bus from Holiday Inn Capitol, 550 C St., SW (corner of 6th and C Sts., SW), with a pick-up stop at the Oxon Hill Park and Ride, 6700 Oxon Hill Rd at 8:25 a.m.
- Single-room supplement $75 (factored into the Single Room Member and Single Room Non-Member pricing).
- Singles registering at the double-room rate are paired (on a nonsmoking basis) if possible, but must pay the single-room supplement otherwise.
- Detailed information is mailed to registrants about four weeks prior to departure.
- Registrants may want to consider purchasing trip insurance.
Detailed information for overnight tours
is mailed approximately FOUR WEEKS
prior to departure. For immediate questions
please call 202-633-8647