The Soulful Shirley Horn
In partnership with the American History Museum’s Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra
Evening Program on Zoom
Thursday, April 29, 2021 - 7:00 p.m. E.T.
$20 - Gen. Admission
As an artist, Washington D.C.’s own Shirley Horn is fondly remembered as a remarkable and sensitive jazz vocalist. But did you know she started her career as a pianist and might never have become the beloved Grammy Award–winning jazz diva that we know today? Celebrate Jazz Appreciation Month’s Year of the Woman with a look into the creative life of one of the style’s greatest singers. Join Jessica Boykin-Settles, an assistant professor of jazz voice at Howard University, as she traces Horn’s unique, almost serendipitous, route to fame. She discusses Horn’s jazz-world influences such as Oscar Peterson and Erroll Garner and her musical collaborations with Miles Davis, Quincy Jones, Wynton Marsalis, Roy Hargrove, Carmen McRae, and other artists. Listen to Horn’s renditions of songs from the Great American Songbook and beyond and gain a new appreciation of the talents of this one-of-a-kind jazz icon.
JAZZ APPRECIATION MONTH
Learn more about Jazz Appreciation Month 2021: Women’s Impact and Contributions in Jazz here.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.