Note: This is an overnight in-person program for children and families.
The crowds are gone, and the doors have closed. Finally, one of the world's most popular museums is your playground!
Join fellow adventurers at one of the world's most visited museum as the doors close, the lights dim, and the crowds shuffle out for the day. Wander through the Fossil Hall, where dinosaurs cast giant shadows. Learn about Earth's past, discover the ocean's aquatic wonders, blast off to the moon, visit pollinators, and walk softly past mysterious mammals. Participate in games and challenges, immerse yourself in hand-on crafts and even learn how to eat like a T-rex while playing The Game of Survival.
Then roll out your sleeping bag and dream away in the darkened halls of one of the world’s most famous museums!
- 6:30 - 7 p.m. Check-in
- 7 p.m. Orientation (mandatory attendance)
- 11 p.m. Lights out!
- 9 a.m. Depart from the museum
- This program is for children ages 8 to 14 years old, accompanied by their adult chaperones (21 or older).
- There must be at least one adult chaperone for every 5 children in any group that registers. No adults without children.
- Ticket sales will end at 12 a.m. on Friday, August 4, 2023. Ticket must be purchased in advance; no door sales.
- As part of the checkout process, you will be asked to complete a release form and have an opportunity to purchase a Smithsonian Sleepovers t-shirt for you and your party.
- For Military Families: A reduced rate is available for active-duty U.S. military personnel and their families. Please call 202-633-3030 and mention Promo Code 267636 to receive Military Promotion pricing.
- Group sales are available for 10 or more people for $95 per person. Call 202-633-3030 during regular business hours to take advantage.
Additional Smithsonian Sleepovers 2023 Dates
Smithsonian Nighttime Adventures 2023 Dates
These opportunities do not include sleeping over at the museum.
For additional information on sleepovers and nighttime adventures, visit SmithsonianAssociates.org/nights.