Note: This is an evening in-person program for children and families.
The crowds are gone, and the doors have closed. Finally, one of the world's most popular museums is your playground until nearly midnight!
Join fellow adventurers at one of the world's most visited museum as the doors close, the lights dim, and the crowds shuffle out for the day. Wander through the Fossil Hall, where dinosaurs cast giant shadows. Learn about Earth's past, discover the ocean's aquatic wonders, blast off to the moon, visit pollinators, and walk softly past mysterious mammals. Participate in games and challenges, immerse yourself in hand-on crafts and even learn how to eat like a T-rex while playing The Game of Survival.
When your nocturnal adventure ends, journey home with objects you collected on the trail through the museum.
- This program is for children ages 8 to 14 years old, accompanied by their adult chaperones (21 or older).
- There must be at least one adult chaperone for every 5 children in any group that registers. No adults without children.
- Pre-packaged, individually wrapped snacks will be available.
- Special Note: The museum's Family Store will be open from 6-7 p.m. and offer 10% discount on purchases.
- 6 - 7 p.m. Check-in
- 7 p.m. Orientation (mandatory attendance)
- 11 p.m. Program ends, depart from the museum
- Update: Ticket sales will end at 12 p.m. on Friday, July 28, 2023. Ticket must be purchased in advance; no door sales.
- Group sales are available for 10 or more people for $50 per person. Call 202-633-3030 during regular business hours to take advantage.
Additional Smithsonian Nighttime Adventures 2023 Dates
Smithsonian Sleepovers 2023 Dates
These opportunities include Nighttime Adventures activitites and opportunity to sleepover at the Natural History Museum.
For additional information on nighttime adventures and sleepovers, visit SmithsonianAssociates.org/nights.