Holmes and Watson in a Sidney Paget illustration
There’s no mystery why the fame of Sherlock Holmes now stretches into a third century or why Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is firmly established as one of the most popular and best-loved writers of all time. The era of gaslight and hansom cabs is long past, but the redoubtable detective is enjoying a fresh surge of popularity, fueled by a blockbuster movie franchise and television adaptations on both sides of the Atlantic. “I hear of Sherlock everywhere,” as the detective’s brother Mycroft once remarked.
Writer Daniel Stashower, author of Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle, turns a magnifying glass on the legendary sleuth of Baker Street and his creator. He is joined by actor Scott Sedar who reads from some of Conan Doyle’s classic works.
As Holmes himself remarked, "Come at once if convenient—if inconvenient, come all the same!"
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.