Experience art in a new way and discover deeper visual meanings as you relate selected art works to your life experience. In group discussions and creative studio activity, find new inspiration in works of art while developing your skills in decoding (reading) and encoding (expressing) visual meaning. In each session, explore a selected work of art from the Smithsonian and other collections. The selections serve as the basis for hands-on, expressive mark-making and drawing exercises in a variety of artistic media and techniques. The class culminates in a hands-on project: creating a memoir triptych consisting of visual pages capturing a significant life experience.
No art experience necessary; Open to all levels.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Renee Sandell.
- 4 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.