Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
Sears Houses of Arlington
Weekend Virtual Tour
Sunday, January 17, 2021 - 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET
A Sears house in Arlington
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
From 1908 to 1940, Sears Roebuck & Co. sold more than 70,000 of its prefabricated Modern Homes kits, affordable dwellings assembled on site that offered Americans of moderate means the chance to own an up-to-date house. Arlington County, Virginia, which saw a boom in its growth during the 1920s, boasts a significant collection of these kit houses. Historian Dakota Springston leads a virtual tour in search of these distinctive and charming structures, including a brief overview and history of kit houses.
Sears homes are viewed in an engaging visual presentation using historic and contemporary images, covering an assortment of different models that range from the single-story “Sunlight” to the magnificent 10-room “Woodland” model. Springston discusses the rail and trolley lines that provided transportation for Sears products, laborers, and residents; the rapidly growing communities in which these houses were built; and the agrarian communities they replaced.
Following the presentation, Kathyrn Holt Springston, a Sears Homes expert, takes part in a live Q&A session.
The program is limited to 75 participants.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.