If you venture outside the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, you discover a walkway filled with marble statues of Renaissance masters including Michelangelo, da Vinci, and Ravello. Bring a bit of Italy to your artwork as you learn to capture the likeness of a sunlit sculpture in watercolors. In the first class, paint the likeness of the master sculptor Michelangelo and explore how dramatic sunlight and layered shadows can give a watercolor painting a sense of dimension. In the second, paint Leonardo da Vinci’s statue along with the instructor, or work from your own photo of a sculpture. This new way of seeing can be your stepping-stone to the world of watercolor portraiture.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit*
- The instructor is Cindy Briggs.
- 2 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.