In the fall of 2019, food writer and TV host Rick Martínez embarked on a culinary journey that began in Mexico City, moved throughout Mexico, and continued across 32 states, 156 cities, and 20,000 miles. In his new cookbook, Mi Cocina, Martínez shares deeply personal recipes that re-create the dishes and specialties he tasted during that memorable trip.
After building a career in the predominantly white world of food media, Martínez speaks openly in the book about the pressures he felt to have his work conform to assumptions of Mexican cultures and cuisines, which led to struggles in him finding and embracing his own identity. Beyond highlighting the diversity, richness, and complexity of Mexican cuisine, Mi Cocina is a tribute to his family's homeland of Mexico and an exploration of his identity as a third-generation Mexican American.
In conversation with Pati Jinich, chef, cookbook author, and host of the PBS television series “Pati’s Mexican Table,” Martínez discusses the recipes in his new cookbook, the stories behind them, and their connection to his journey of self-discovery.
Copies of Mi Cocina: Recipes and Rapture from My Kitchen in Mexico (Clarkson Potter/Ten Speed) are available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.