This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Use the links in the left-hand column to find upcoming programs.
Ticket prices increase by $10 on Sept. 6.
The very names of Latin music genres suggest an irresistible, unmistakable rhythm. Salsa. Mambo. Rumba. Cha-cha-cha. For at least six decades, the distinctive musical styles, as interpreted by Latino musicians, have profoundly influenced American music, from jazz and rhythm & blues to rock ’n’ roll and hip hop.
Stroll (or sway) through the Smithsonian’s International Gallery and see the traveling exhibition, American Sabor, with Emily Key, Smithsonian Latino Center education programs manager. Hop onto the exhibit’s dance floor with instructor Eileen Torres to learn the dances that emerged from the various traditions within the Latino culture. Sample pineapple margaritas from the bar, enjoy light hors d’oeuvres, and take in the sights and sounds of American Sabor.
• Will-call tickets are available in the main concourse of the Ripley Center (sublevel 3)
• Ticket sales begin (limited number if event is not sold out)
• Doors Open
• Mingle with Smithsonian Latino Center Education Specialist, Emily Key
• Dance Instruction provided by Eileen Torres throughout the evening
• Open Dance
• Light hors d’oeuvres
• Cash Bar featuring beer, wine, a specialty cocktail, and non-alcoholic beverages.
Featured Exhibition: American Sabor
American Sabor: Latinos in U.S. Popular Music, a traveling exhibition from the Smithsonian, presents the musical contributions of U.S. Latinos from the 1940s to the present, exploring the social history and individual creativity that produced stars like Tito Puente, Ritchie Valens, Celia Cruz, Carlos Santana and Selena.
Read More About this exhibit
- One drink ticket included with admission.
- Must be at least 21 with a valid photo ID to attend.
- All ticket sales are final.
- This is not a seated event.
- Tickets will be $40 for members and $50 for general admission starting Sept. 6.
To view past and current Mingle at the Museum events, click here.
S. Dillon Ripley Center
1100 Jefferson Drive, SW
Metro: Smithsonian Mall Exit (Blue/Orange)