This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Use the links in the left-hand column to find upcoming programs.
Listing of Let’s Talk About Race programs
Ticket prices increase by $5 on Aug. 9.
We all know that people look different. Throughout history, these differences have been a source of strength, community, personal identity, and conflict. What can current science tell us about these variations?
Spend an evening at the Natural History Museum, viewing the exhibition Race: Are We So Different? (through Jan. 1, 2012) and mingling with the exhibit’s curator Mary Jo Arnoldi and Smithsonian scholars Alcione Amos, curator, Anacostia Community Museum; Gabrielle Tayac, historian, American Indian Museum; and Pawan Dhingra, curator, Asian Pacific American Program. Discuss the science behind the way we look and the ideas that shape our cultural identities, and emerge with a fresh understanding and perhaps a new way of thinking about race.
• Will-call tickets are available at the Constitution Ave. entrance of the Natural History Museum
• Ticket sales begin (limited number if event is not sold out)
• Mingle with RACE: Are We So Different? curators and Smithsonian scholars
• Cash Bar featuring beer, wine, a specialty cocktail, and non-alcoholic
Featured Exhibition: RACE: Are We So Different?
Race is a short word with a long history in America. What is race and how are we affected by it every day? Race: Are We So Different? explores the concept of race from scientific, historical, and cultural perspectives. The exhibition offers a powerful look at race and racism, and challenges visitors to ask questions, think critically, and talk about the issue and their own experiences.
Read more about this exhibit
- One drink ticket included with admission.
- Must be at least 21 with a valid photo ID to attend.
- All ticket sales are final.
- This is not a seated event.
- Tickets will be $25 for members and $30 for general admission starting Aug. 9.
To view past and current Mingle at the Museum events, click here.
The Smithsonian Associates programs are part of the Smithsonian-wide conversation
about race. The exhibition RACE: Are We So Different? will be at the
Natural History Museum through Jan. 2, 2012.