This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Use the links in the left-hand column to find upcoming programs.
Ticket prices will increase by $10 at the door on July 30th.
Satisfy your passion for jazz with an evening concert by the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra. The SJMO celebrates Jazz Appreciation Month with a tribute to historic horn duos, featuring the music of Gerry Mulligan and performances of such tones as “Walkin’ Shoes,” “Line for Lyons,” and “Apple Core.”
After the concert, mingle with a small SJMO ensemble at an exclusive cocktail party where the musicians will take requests from participants.
New Orleans-themed hors d'oeuvres area a delicious coda to all that jazz.
• Will-call tickets are available at the entrance to Baird Auditorium from the Constitution Ave. entrance.
• Ticket sales begin (limited number)
• Doors Open
• Concert begins
• Concert concludes
• Reception begins in Atrium Cafe
• Extended concert with the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra; request songs by your favorite jazz artists
• Mingle with band members
• Food service provided by Purple Onion Catering
• Cash bar featuring Heineken products
Celebrate the birthplace of jazz with New Orleans-themed hors d’oeuvres provided by Purple Onion Catering.
Passed Hors D’oeuvres
with a Smoky Spice Dipping Sauce
Miniature Muffuletta Sandwiches
Skewered Shrimp and Chorizo Sausage with a Creole Dipping Sauce
Miniature Crab Cakes
with a Spicy Remoulade
Miniature Praline Cookies
Banana Pudding Sweet Shots
Pecan Pie Sweet Shots
You must be at least 21 years old with a valid ID to attend. One drink ticket is included with admission. A cash bar will offer specialty cocktails, wine, beer, and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the evening.
The Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra (SJMO) was founded in 1990 with an appropriation from Congress in recognition of the importance of jazz and its status as a national treasure. Now in the sixth year of its series with The Smithsonian Associates, the orchestra delves into jazz’s greatest works and performers, including Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington, and Gerry Mulligan. The SJMO is led by artistic and musical director David N. Baker.
Read more about the Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra
- One drink ticket included with admission.
- Additional drink tickets may be purchased with either cash or credit card.
- Must be at least 21 with a valid photo ID to attend.
- All ticket sales are final.
- All bags will be searched by security.
- Personal items can be checked in designated coat rooms or lockers at your own discretion. The museum is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Ticket pricing at the door (if available): Resident Members $45; Gen. Admission $50
To view past and current Mingle at the Museum events, click here.
National Museum of Natural History
10th & Constitution Avenue, NW
Metro: Federal Triangle or Smithsonian