The Amazon is a region of superlatives: It has the planet’s most diverse ecosystem and its largest river basin, and is home to one-tenth of all its known species.
This evening, stroll through the Zoo’s domed rainforest, watching for signs of the many creatures in the canopy or on the forest floor. Spot silver-beaked tanagers, swinging titi monkeys, and two-toed sloths and watch their antics while you sample light Brazilian-themed hors d’oeuvres and sip a tangy specialty cocktail, the caipirinha.
Stop and mingle with Zoo educators and learn about the vast web of underwater life swimming through the Amazon’s rivers and tributaries—and cavorting in the exhibit’s cascading tropical river and 55,000-gallon aquarium. Sway to the rhythm of samba music and learn a few steps during your lively evening in Amazonia.
• Will-call tickets are available at the entrance to the Amazonia Habitat
• Ticket sales begin: $40 for members and $50 general admission (limited number if event is not sold out)
• Doors Open
• Samba demonstrations and instruction
• Mingle with Amazonia educators through the habitats
• Light hors d'oeuvres provided by Purple Onion Catering
• Cash bar featuring Heineken products and caipirinha specialty cocktail
Featured Exhibition: Amazonia
Amazonia, the largest and most complex exhibit ever built at the National Zoo, opened to the public in 1992. The 15,000-square-foot rainforest habitat of the exhibit includes a cascading tropical river and a 55,000-gallon aquarium for the display of Amazon River fish. Within Amazonia’s dome, visitors find a living tropical forest with more than 350 species of plants, including 50-foot-tall trees, tropical vines, and epiphytes. This habitat is also home to dozens of species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and insects typical of the Amazon Basin, all moving throughout the exhibit. Smooth-sided toads and silver-beaked tanagers breed freely, titi monkeys jump from branch to branch, a two-toed sloth hides behind large leaves, while white-bellied hummingbirds zip about.
Amazonia is located at the opposite side of the Zoo from the Connecticut Avenue entrance, close to the end of the Beaver Valley Trail.
Read More About this Exhibition
- One drink ticket included with admission.
- Additional drink tickets may be purchased with either cash or credit card.
- Must be at least 21 with a valid photo ID to attend.
- All ticket sales are final.
- This is not a seated event.
- All bags will be searched by security.
- Personal items can be checked in designated coat rooms or lockers at your own discretion. The museum is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
To view past and current Mingle at the Museum events, click here.