Be entertained and inspired in an evening that combines traditional art with a modern spin.
Enjoy Grammy-nominated artist Carolyn Malachi’s unique blend of jazz, pop, r&b, and spoken word as she performs works by some of South Africa’s soul music artists.
Browse the museum galleries to view the second exhibition in the Artists in Dialogue series, in which exciting artists—including South Africa’s Sandile Zulu and Brazil’s Henrique Oliveira—were invited to an encounter in which each artist responds to the work of the other. The result is an original, site-specific work based on their encounter in the museum.
Let spontaneity of the exhibit and the music move you to create your own work of art.
Then, reward your creative effort with tempting South African-style hors d’oeuvres.
This evening is a collaboration with the Smithsonian African Art Museum and made possible in part by South African Tourism.
• Will-call tickets are available at the Independence Ave. entrance through the Enid Haupt Garden.
• Doors open
• Ticket sales begin (limited number)
• Carolyn Malachi performs
• Art activity inspired by Artist Dialogue exhibit
• Stroll through the exhibition gallery
• Food service provided by Purple Onion Catering
• Cash bar featuring Heineken products
Indulge your taste buds in South African bites provided by Purple Onion Catering.
Passed Hors D’oeuvres
Beef Sosaties (Beef Kabobs Skewed with Mushrooms, Onions, and Sliced Peppers)
Sambusa (Thin Dough Shells Stuffed with Minced Beef, Green Chili, and Herbs)
served on Pita Chips
Fried Sweet Potato Fritters
with an Apple Chutney served in a Ceramic Tasting Spoon
with a Spicy Red Pepper Dip
Coconut Crème Pie Sweet Shots
Banana Fritters served in a Ceramic Tasting Spoon
You must be at least 21 years old with a valid ID to attend. One drink ticket is included with admission. A cash bar will offer a specialty cocktail, wine, beer, and non-alcoholic beverages throughout the evening.
Featured Exhibition: Artists in Dialogue II: Sandile Zulu and Henrique Oliveira
The Smithsonian's National Museum of African Art (NMAfA) is organizing the exhibition, "Artists in Dialogue: Sandile Zulu and Henrique Oliveira," as the second in a series of exhibitions in which exciting artists (at least one of whom is African) are invited to a new encounter -- one in which each artist responds to the work of the other, and resulting in original, site-specific works at the museum. The exhibition will also include a selection of works by each artist to reflect who they are coming into the encounter.
Read More About this Exhibition
- One drink ticket included with admission.
- Additional drink tickets may be purchased with either cash or credit card.
- Must be at least 21 with a valid photo ID to attend.
- All ticket sales are final.
- All bags will be searched by security.
- Personal items can be checked in designated coat rooms or lockers at your own discretion. The museum is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
To view past and current Mingle at the Museum events, click here.