Sandringham House, Norfolk (Photo: RXUYDC @ English-language Wikipedia)
The official and personal residences of Queen Elizabeth II are scattered through the United Kingdom. Beyond iconic landmarks, they are also magnificent living palaces, estates, and castles that are used daily to serve the needs of the monarchy. They range from familiar sites such as Buckingham and Windsor palaces to the lesser-known Palace of Holyroodhouse in Scotland.
Some mistake these royal locations for museums, yet their interiors and the objects they hold are not simply on display—they are used regularly to entertain thousands of guests. From the settings for large state banquets intended to impress visiting foreign leaders to small receptions, the concept of a working castle or palace is unique in today’s world.
Join Andrew Lannerd, the co-founder of Transcendent Travel, a tour company specializing in distinctive tours of the United Kingdom, to explore the vibrant history of each of these famed residences in detail. He offers behind-the-scenes accounts of garden parties at Buckingham Palace, a royal wedding at Windsor Castle, and even a private party that celebrated the queen’s 80th birthday. He also uncovers royal letters from a private collection, notable objects, and anecdotes from a lifetime researching the British monarchy.
Lannerd is the author of Royal Recollections: Stories of Travel, Royalty and Collecting.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.