Québec Cooking with Chef Dominic Sylvain
Part of the Francophonie Cultural Festival 2021
Evening Program on Zoom
Thursday, March 25, 2021 - 6:15 p.m. ET
$20 - Gen. Admission
Dominic Sylvain (Photo: Kelly Marshall)
Québec is a mecca for food lovers. Heavily influenced by the cuisines of France and Ireland, traditional Québécois food is hearty yet sophisticated, and the province’s contemporary menus reflect global accents and the flavors of local organic fare.
Dig into some of the history of Québec cooking as Montréal chef Dominic Sylvain demonstrates how to make a vegetarian version of one of its most iconic dishes, pâté chinois—a French-Canadian spin on shepherd’s pie that’s a family menu staple perfect for warming up a chilly winter. During the demonstration, chef Sylvain will answer questions and provide tips about making the traditional meat version. Within a week before the program, recipes for both vegetarian and meat versions, a shopping list, and suggestions for beverage and dessert pairings are provided, so you can cook along with Sylvain or just enjoy the demonstration and try your hand at the dish later.
Born and raised in Montréal, Sylvain began his career at 14 by making fries and poutine at the neighborhood pataterie. After graduating from a top cooking school, he worked across Canada and in Michelin-starred restaurants in France and is currently the executive chef for the Québec general delegation in New York City.
Learn more about Francophonie Cultural Festival 2021 in Washington, DC.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.