Once they are understood, the principles and elements of art enable visual artists to convey their intent more successfully. In this class, students explore principles such as balance, rhythm, pattern, and elements such as shape, form, and color. Then, using basic tools, graphite, and colored pencils, they engage in drawing exercises designed to help them create well-composed—and satisfying—work. Additional information is included on the supply list.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Lori VanKirk Schue.
- 2 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.