This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Browse other programs we offer.
Pontormo and Pasta: Live from Tuscany
Friday, November 20, 2020 - 12:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. ET
"Visitation" by Pontormo, 1528-1530
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
You can’t visit Italy right now—but you can make pasta. Join art historian and culinary expert Elaine Trigiani at her farmhouse in Tuscany for a virtual exploration of this region through its artistic and culinary heritage.
Here in the hills of Chianti, four medieval castles were used to safely store works of art from Florentine museums during WWII, among them paintings by Renaissance artist Jacopo Pontormo, including his Visitation. Pontormo, who is named after the local Tuscan town from which he came, was a leader in the Mannerist movement, one that fought against the classicism of the high Renaissance. Trigiani examines his work, best known for its ambiguous use of space, dramatic color, and a sense of psychic restlessness.
Then, taking inspiration from a group of nearby heritage wheat producers, including farmers, millers, and bakers, she makes fresh pasta and la lasagna (and shares a recipe). Wherever you may be, art and food make a delightful way to explore this historic and beautiful corner of Italy.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.