Susan Herrmann Loomis (Photo: Francis Hammond)
Plat du Jour, French for dish of the day, is announced on chalkboards displayed in front of France’s restaurants, cafes, brasseries, and bistros. Based on regional specialties, the dish is prepared with the best and freshest ingredients available daily at local markets.
Cooking teacher, author and journalist Susan Herrmann Loomis highlights this iconic part of la formule (set menu), focusing on making classics approachable without sacrificing authenticity. She deconstructs old favorites, describes contemporary versions of plats du jour, and includes some of her own creations. Loomis, who owned and operated the cooking school On Rue Tatin in Normandy and Paris for 20 years, shares what the cook needs to know to make a delicious plat du jour, world-class bechamel, and why a French chef would substitute monkfish for lamb in a classic preparation.
Virtually enter her Parisian kitchen as Loomis prepares a simple dish or two using recipes from her newest book, Plat du Jour: French Dinners Made Easy. You’ll be inspired to prepare your own plat du jour, surprising and delighting yourself and everyone who shares your table.
Plat du Jour (Countryman Press) is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.