Northern Italy’s Piedmont region
Please Note: The pick-up location and timing for tasting wine kits has changed.
REGISTRATION ADVISORY: Please read through the complete program description before registering. This program includes a wine tasting kit as part of its ticket price that must be picked up from a local Washington, DC wine bar.
Spend a fascinating evening expanding your knowledge of wine as you travel the world with sommelier Erik Segelbaum in a series of delectable wine-tasting adventures. The immersive program includes a curated personal tasting kit to enhance the experience.
With September marking the start of Piedmont’s truffle season, it’s only fitting to explore the complementary wines of one of Italy's most famed regions. Situated at the foot of the Italian Alps, with France and Switzerland a respective hop, skip and a jump away, Piedmont is home to more DOCGs than any other region in Italy. While Barolo reigns supreme here, Piedmont’s wines have so much more to offer. Learn why Nebbiolo is named for the famed "nebbia" fog and how Piedmont's semi-alpine wines belong at most any dinner table.
Wine Tasting Kit Information
- The cost includes a curated personal tasting kit with enough wine for one person to sample the full lineup of wines.
- Additional participants must register individually to receive their own tasting kit, which is an essential component of the workshop.
- UPDATED as of September 18: Kits are available during two scheduled pick-up times the day before the program and the day of the program, 12–5 p.m., at La Famosa (1300 4th Street SE, Washington, DC; Metro: Navy Yard-Ballpark station, Green line).
- NOTE: Patrons will receive additional wine tasting kit pick-up information by email prior to the program.
- Due to state and federal laws, Smithsonian Associates cannot ship wine kits. However, SOMLYAY may be able to provide kits to participants outside the Washington, D.C., area (who must cover shipping costs). Please contact email@example.com for more information.
About Erik Segelbaum
Erik Segelbaum is a Wine Enthusiast 40 Under 40 Tastemaker for 2020 and Food & Wine magazine’s 2019 Sommelier of the Year. He holds the designation of Advanced Sommelier through the Court of Master Sommeliers, one of fewer than 600 specialists in the world who hold this level of certification. Segelbaum is the former corporate wine and beverage director for Starr Restaurants, a wine journalist and educator, and chief vinnovation officer of SOMLYAY hospitality and private events consultancy.
Additional Wine Adventures Programs