The balance of tension in an image is fundamental in photography. When achieved successfully, well-made visual relationships are created. This course offers participants a better understanding of compositional elements and how best to apply them.
Emphasis is placed on practices that promote taking better and more unique photographs, including simplicity, balance, and using natural lighting conditions. Weekly lectures and assignments feature topics including extended shutter speeds, light graffiti, bokeh templates, and macro photography.
Students should have an understanding of basic camera operation. They provide their own cameras and may work in the format of their choice.
Note: This streamed program will not be recorded.
- The instructor is Joe Yablonsky.
- 5 sessions, 3 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.