Philadelphia has long been a city for flower lovers. Since its first public exhibition in 1829, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) has introduced new plants, inspiring design concepts, and innovative environmental practices to the American public at its annual show. The newest edition of the PHS Philadelphia Flower Show adds another distinction to that history: It’s the first to be held outdoors.
Running June 5 to 13 and themed "Habitat: Nature's Masterpiece," the 2021 show will cover 15 acres in Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park in South Philadelphia, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. and John Charles Olmsted in the early 20th century. The lush historic landscape is the setting for three “districts” of spectacular displays and activities for gardeners, plant enthusiasts, and design aficionados. Visitors at all skill levels can learn to nurture a lifelong connection to plants and gardening from a diverse line-up of designers and leading horticulturalists.
A week before the show opens, join Nicole Juday Rhoads, director of engagement at the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, for a presentation on the Philadelphia Flower Show’s history and legacy that draws on rare images, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, and fascinating background information drawn from the PHS McLean Library archives. She also covers how the unique 2021 show was organized, provides some inside looks at its features, and offers tips for visitors who might be planning to take it all in.
Learn more about the 2021 Philadelphia Flower Show and how to purchase tickets here.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.