Don’t miss out on future programs like this.
As a Smithsonian Associates member
, you will receive ticket-buying priority.
The Paratrooper Generals of D-Day
Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
General Dwight D. Eisenhower addresses American paratroopers prior to D-Day (Library of Congress)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
In the early hours of D-Day, Generals Matthew Ridgway and Maxwell Taylor did something different than their counterparts. These two commanders of the 82nd (“All-American”) and the 101st (“Screaming Eagle”) Airborne Divisions refused to remain behind the lines. They parachuted into Normandy and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with their men in continuous combat for 33 days.
As participants in Operation Overlord, these pathfinders became the first Americans to set foot in occupied France, and with the Screaming Eagles they cleared the way for the 1st and 4th Infantry Divisions at Omaha and Utah beaches. Military historian Mitchell Yockelson explores the unique style of leadership of these two division commanders and how it played out in the most important American campaign of World War II.
Yockelson’s book The Paratrooper Generals: Matthew Ridgway, Maxwell Taylor, and the American Airborne from D-Day Through Normandy (Stackpole Books) is available for sale.
BOOK SALE INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons will receive two emails: one is an automatic email confirmation and the second will include a link to the Zoom webinar as a follow-up (usually given within 24 hours of registration).
- NOTE: If you do not receive your follow-up email from Zoom, please email Customer Service for assistance.
GETTING STARTED WITH ZOOM
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.