There’s no reason to fear a blank canvas. If you’ve ever wanted to paint, here’s a class that offers the perfect introduction to the art—and will have you ready to pick up your brush with confidence.
Begin working in the versatile and flexible medium of acrylic paints as you learn to mix colors, use brushes, and approach elements of form such as value, texture, line, color, shape, and edges. Explore composition and variation, learn art terminology, and a bit of art history as well.
No matter the subject or the style you choose, this thorough grounding will help you create successful paintings—and start you thinking like an artist.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Chester Kasnowski.
- 6 sessions, 2 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.