Top to bottom: Great Horned Owl; Mark H.X. Glenshaw
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
Did you know that there is a top-of-the-food-chain predator likely living in your neighborhood? This animal moves silently at speeds of 20 to 40 miles per hour and eats animals twice its size. Not a bear or mountain lion or coyote, it is a Great Horned Owl, found in every state except Hawaii and in almost every habitat you can imagine.
Owls are incredibly adaptable animals and several species are regularly found where humans live. But their amazing camouflage, nocturnal habits, and silent flight often make them hidden to us. Join Mark H.X. Glenshaw, aka the “Owl Man,” to learn how you can find these amazing and beautiful animals and other owls right in your neighborhood.
As part of his outreach work as an urban naturalist in St. Louis, Glenshaw helps people locate owls in their subdivisions, city neighborhoods, pocket parks, or large public parks. He discusses the owls you are most likely to see or hear, where and how to look for them, and the importance of research and collaboration in the study of owls.
A certified Missouri Master Naturalist, Glenshaw received the Citizen Scientist Award from the Academy of Science of St. Louis in 2006.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.