The Orchidaceae is an astonishing family of flowering plants that dates back 112 million years. It has evolved into more than 28,000 species and has captivated human interest for the last 2,500 years, since Confucius first wrote about the blooms around 500 BC.
Orchid expert Barbara Schmidt, president of the Orchid Club of America, provides a introduction to the family of orchids and leads a tour of several of the most exotic and beautiful collections in the United States. In virtual visits, an orchid specialist from each botanical garden shares what makes their collection unique and highlights some of its rarest orchids.
Locations include Huntington Botanical Gardens in San Marino, California, where three greenhouses hold nearly 10,000 plants; Fairchild Tropical Gardens in Coral Gables, Florida, which is propagating millions of native orchids for reintroduction into South Florida’s urban landscapes; the stunning Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, created by the estate’s original owners Pierre S. and Alice du Pont, charter members of the American Orchid Society; and the New York Botanical Gardens, known for its spectacular annual orchid show.
The program includes ample time for an informative Q&A session with Schmidt.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.