Please call us at 202-633-3030 to register for this Overnight Tour, so we may confirm your room arrangements.
Old Town Alexandria: A Holiday Staycation
Starts: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 11:00 a.m.
Ends: Monday, December 16, 2019 - 4:00 p.m.
A storefront decorated for the holidays (K. Summerer/Visit Alexandria)
Alexandria’s historic district comes alive under December’s festive lights. Treat yourself to a holiday-season overnight getaway that offers the perfect way to experience the heart of Old Town’s heritage and charm: colonial architecture, museums, fine dining, the waterfront, and of course, a little shopping.
Your headquarters is The Alexandrian, part of the Autograph Collection, an ideally located luxury boutique-style hotel where the décor of the public spaces and guest rooms offers a charming contemporary spin on classic 18th-century styles. Park your car (you won’t need it during your stay) and head to a private room for a welcome lunch with tour leader Garrett Peck, an author and historian.
Bundle up for an afternoon walk along Old Town’s waterfront that offers insights into how Alexandria’s past and present is linked to the Potomac, a chance to contrast historic warehouses with the latest waterside developments, and view recent archeological excavations. Then, pay a visit to the Alexandria Archeology Museum and the Torpedo Factory Art Center, the ideal spot for one-of-a kind gifts. A festive holiday dinner begins the evening, followed by a walk along King Street to enjoy the seasonal lights at Market Square.
After a relaxing breakfast at the hotel, walk to the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum. Lunch at Gadsby’s Tavern and Museum ushers you into the spirit of Alexandria’s colonial era, and there’s more history in store as you explore George Washington’s home town on a walk that brings your staycation to a close.
NOTE: This tour is limited to 25 participants. This tour includes no motor transportation and involves extensive walking, including cobblestone streets. Suitable footwear and weather-appropriate clothing is recommended.
- Cost includes lodging, all activities, and the following meals: one breakfast, two lunches, and one dinner.
- Overnight accommodations are at The Alexandrian Hotel. Hotel parking is available for $22.
- Group meets at 11 a.m. on Sunday, December 15 at The Alexandrian Hotel, 480 King Street, Alexandria, VA (there are no departure or fringe stop bus pick-ups).
- Single-room supplement $80 (factored into the Single Room Member and Single Room Non-Member pricing).
- Singles registering at the double-room rate are paired (on a nonsmoking basis) if possible, but must pay the single-room supplement otherwise.
- Detailed information is mailed to registrants about four weeks prior to departure.
- Registrants may want to consider purchasing trip insurance.
Detailed information for overnight tours
is mailed approximately FOUR WEEKS
prior to departure.