A medium that comes in stick or crayon form and is made from a pigment combined with a linseed oil binder, oil pastels behave like chalk pastels but possess characteristics similar to those of wax crayons. While producing a painterly effect, oil pastels can be applied with a limited degree of layering, unlike chalk or soft pastels. Students learn proper application and blending techniques in exercises before producing their own work of art using reference photos of their choice. This medium is suited to portraits of all types, landscape, and still-life. Students should have a basic understanding of color theory and rules of art.
Special Program Information
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.