Combine mosaic and assemblage while exploring where traditional and non-traditional materials meet. Students will learn design and composition theories while working with the portrait as a subject. Prerequisites: a vague familiarity with the parts of the face and a sense of humor.
Discover how to employ a mix of items including recycled materials of unexpected origin, nature’s bounty from the sea and shore, dish shards in pique assiette style, glass, tile, rusty bits, pebbles and more. In other words, this is an opportunity to use the “stuff” you simply haven’t been able to part with.
Each class session is a combination of lecture, demonstration, and time to work on your piece. Discussion will include using unconventional materials, in combination with appropriate adhesives and substrates. Students will be introduced to countless cutting tricks, review design principles and learn to create effective backgrounds to best support your primary subject.
Students provide all materials, see supply list for details.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- The instructor is Bonnie Fitzgerald.
- 3 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.