Cole Porter (Library of Congress)
Save when you purchase the More Stories from the American Songbook fall series!
Here are more of those wonderful songs, so familiar they seem part of us. Through the years we dance and romance to them, come together, or dream of an old love. Did their creators ever think they would last forever, or that they could be done in so many ways?
Combining lecture with a wide variety of clips, filmmaker and cultural historian Sara Lukinson traces how some of our favorite songs from the Great American Songbook came to be and how different artists, unexpected arrangements, and changing times transformed them into something brand new, but still the same.
Lukinson, who has won three Emmys and seven Writer’s Guild Awards, now teaches at NYU and the 92nd Street Y. Her personal essays have appeared in the New York Times, Washington Post, and Intima: A Journal of Narrative Medicine.
Two by Cole Porter: “Night and Day” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”
Playful, naughty, and sizzling, Cole Porter’s songs were meant to seduce and delight us. Sophisticated lyrics suggested high and low delights, while his music mixed the sounds of Broadway and the movies with the hint of exotic climes.
Other Sessions in this Series
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.