Students in this 8-session course are invited to experiment with a variety of modernist painting styles such as cubism, suprematism, and abstract expressionism. Through a series of exercises, including still-life setups and model sessions, participants learn practical applications of the concepts and techniques of modernism. The class includes lecture, demonstration, group discussion, and critiques.
Designed for painting students of all skill levels, the class moves students beyond the basics to focus on discovering and developing their own unique visual language.
This class will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- All Studio Arts classes require a ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student listed on the roster.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.