Modern Mosaics, Ancient Techniques
8-Session Daytime Course
Tuesday, October 13 to December 8, 2020 – 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. ET (no class Nov. 24)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
Create a modern interpretation of a classical mosaic inspired by motifs and subjects from the Roman and Byzantine periods. Following a review of the history of mosaics, classical mosaic design, and fabrication, students are introduced to specific technical considerations, materials management, and mosaic-making demonstrations.
Students work with unglazed porcelain, which mimics the look of traditional mosaics. Additional supplies are available for purchase by students who complete their project before the end of the 8- week period
Students are required to purchase a mosaic kit ($95) designed specifically for this course by the instructor (not included in ticket price). The kit includes all materials needed for project completion.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Bonnie Fitzgerald.
- 8 sessions, 2 hours each (no class Nov. 24)
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
- There is another Modern Mosaics, Ancient Techniques course on Oct. 13 - Dec. 8, 6:30 p.m.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.