Michael Eric Dyson (Photo: Jean Song/MEDILL)
The death of George Floyd during an arrest in Minneapolis forever changed America. The national outcry sparked the largest protests in American history and a level of social unrest unseen since the 1960s. Soon other protests broke out around the country following other deaths, and this watershed of pain allowed the simmering issues of inequality to rise to the surface. Michael Eric Dyson, an internationally prominent scholar of race, religion and contemporary culture, draws on his new book to share how he grapples with the cultural and social forces that have shaped our nation since slavery and offers a guide to help the country finally reckon with race. From the slave ship to street corners, he enjoins America to confront systemic racism and suggests ways to move forward.
Dyson’s book A Long Time Coming: Reckoning with Race in American (St. Martin’s Press) is available for sale.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.