The Loneliest Polar Bear
Evening Program on Zoom
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 - 6:30 p.m. ET
Nora is a feisty polar bear with a will to live. She was abandoned by her mother just a few days after her birth, and the zoo handlers knew they had to act fast to keep her alive. They also knew they were about to raise by hand one of the world’s most dangerous predators.
The importance of the cub’s survival was magnified by the fact that polar bear numbers are shrinking as the species is being forced to adapt to harsh climate change.
In this heartfelt story of survival, journalist Kale Williams views the world through Nora’s eyes—an opening into a discussion of climate change and its effects on both wildlife and Alaskans whose livelihoods depend on them. He explores the importance of polar bears and how we might develop a more respectful relationship with the natural world and our part in this fragile eco-system. He is joined in conversation with Nate Blakeslee, author of American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West.
Williams’ book The Loneliest Polar Bear (Penguin Random House) is available for purchase.
BOOK SALE INFORMATION
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.