Learn To Paint From the Impressionists
8-Session Daytime Course
Saturday, October 17 to December 12, 2020 – 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ET (no class Nov. 28)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
The impressionists captured the fleeting effects of natural light to produce vivid landscapes, water that sparkles, and colors that sing. They made it all look effortless, but what techniques provided the foundation for that seeming ease?
By studying paintings by the impressionists and hands-on painting practice, students discover those secrets and learn how artists like Monet, Renoir, and Degas created their signature styles.
Lectures will cover the impressionists’ methods, materials, brushwork, and use of color, and survey the 19th-century innovations and scientific discoveries that influenced the movement. A virtual visit to the National Gallery of Art and Musee d’Orsay offers an opportunity to view impressionist masterworks and put the art and their creators into a historical framework, as well as gain technical insights into how the works were created. Each session provides opportunities for participants to try various techniques and create their own impressionistic paintings. The goal is not to copy famous artists, but to gain skills that can be applied to your own work.
Download the supply list.
World Art History Certificate elective: Earn 1/2 credit*
- The instructor is Adrienne Wyman.
- 8 sessions, 3 hours each (no class Nov. 28)
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
*Enrolled participants in the World Art History Certificate Program receive 1/2 elective credit. Not yet enrolled? Learn about the program, its benefits, and how to register here.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.