John Lewis and the Power of Hope
With Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie Bunch and Biographer Jon Meacham
Thursday, October 1, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
$45 - Gen. Admission + Book
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- For multiple registrations, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses.
The late John Lewis, who at 25 marched in Selma, Alabama, and was beaten on the Edmund Pettus Bridge, was a visionary and a man of faith. From an early age, Lewis learned that nonviolence was not only a tactic but a philosophy, a biblical imperative, and a transforming reality. Integral to Lewis’s commitment to bettering the nation was his faith in humanity and in God—and an unshakable belief in the power of hope.
In a special evening that celebrates the civil rights icon and longtime U.S. congressman, Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie G. Bunch III, who worked closely with Lewis to create the National Museum of African American History and Culture, joins biographer Jon Meacham to discuss Lewis’s life and career that brought a still-evolving nation closer to realizing its ideals, and his legacy that offers inspiration and illumination for Americans today who are working for social and political change. Jenn White, host of NPR’s 1A, moderates.
A copy of Meacham’s new book His Truth is Marching On: John Lewis and the Power of Hope (Random House) is included in the ticket price (see Book Distribution Information for added details).
BOOK DISTRIBUTION INFORMATION
The featured book is included with the ticket price. Books will be shipped by Politics and Prose to your home address, so please review the accuracy of your name and address at the time of registration. Please allow 2-4 weeks for book delivery.
If you do not want your personal information shared with the distributor, please email CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org. Opting out from receiving the book does not reduce the registration fee.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.