Smithsonian Jazz Masterworks Orchestra in concert at the National Museum of American History (Photo: Jaclyn Nash)
Note: This streaming program features a virtual concert.
American jazz trumpeter, bandleader, composer, and NEA Jazz Master Joseph Benjamin Wilder (1922–2014) left a broad footprint that still resonates in the world of music today. Wilder received accolades for his performances with Jimmy Lunceford, Noble Sissle, Count Basie, and many other fellow greats in jazz. He became a favorite with vocalists and played for Billie Holiday, Johnny Mathis, Harry Belafonte, and Tony Bennett. Wilder recorded throughout his career, starting with Wilder ’n’ Wilder in 1956 through Among Friends in 2003.
Celebrating Wilder’s unique talents during what would be his 100th year, the SJMO’s small band performs songs from Wilder’s debut album, his 1959 cult classic The Pretty Sound of Joe Wilder, and much more.
Upcoming Programs with 2021-2022 Series
- April 1: The Duke and the Count (Jazz Appreciation Month event)
- June 16: Women in Jazz: On and Off the Stage
Whether as a 17-member big band, quartet, septet, or small group, SJMO presents concerts featuring transcribed works, new arrangements, commissioned pieces, and programs that illuminate the work of the masters who contributed to the development of American jazz and defined the music’s character.
Under artistic director and conductor Charlie Young, SJMO has celebrated some of the greatest jazz music throughout its 31-year history. The 2021–2022 season promises to bring the best of jazz to audiences through both virtual and in-person concerts. Special guests join the ensemble to guide audiences through the fascinating history and stories that surround this truly American musical form.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.