Walli Beckwith, model astronaut, is 300 days away from completing her time on the International Space Station. But when a freak accident on board results in an order to return to Earth, she shocks the world—and jeopardizes her career—by refusing to leave her post. Beckwith takes command of the space station, defying orders from NASA, the White House, and space agencies around the globe. Her reason? Something terrible is happening in the Amazon rainforest and she feels she must do something. But how far will she go to accomplish what she knows is right?
Beckwith is the heroine of award-winning science journalist Jeffrey Kluger’s new novel, Holdout, inspired by environmental activism on Earth and today’s exciting space programs. Kluger is also the author of the best-selling Apollo 13 that went on to become an Academy Award-winning film. In conversation with former NASA astronaut Marsha Ivans, Kluger discusses how his science writing background and access to classified research facilities and locales informed his storytelling. He also shares moments in his career reporting on space, which has taken him around the globe, from the Kennedy Space Center and Moscow Mission Control, to the Oval Office and the Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center.
Book Sale Information
- Purchase your copy of Holdout by Jeffrey Kluger here.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Politics and Prose is offering a 10% discount to Smithsonian Associates ticket-holders. To claim your discount, enter the code SPECIAL10 (no space between letters and numbers) in the “Coupon discount” section on Politics and Prose's check-out page.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.