Please Note: The start time for this program has changed from 6:45 p.m. to 7 p.m.
You likely know Jake Tapper as the anchor of CNN “The Lead with Jack Tapper,” but he’s also an accomplished author. The Outpost, an account of one of America's deadliest battles during the war in Afghanistan, became a film in 2020, and he called on his inside knowledge of Washington’s workings in the period political thriller The Hellfire Club, which is being turned into a series by HBO Max.
His newest novel marks a return for the characters he introduced in The Hellfire Club, Congressman Charlie Marder and his wife Margaret, political stars in 1960s D.C. In The Devil May Dance, Attorney General Robert Kennedy taps the Marders to investigate a threat to American security that launches them into the dark side of Hollywood. Their assignment involves befriending Frank Sinatra, late-night adventures with the Rat Pack, pursuit by sinister forces, a body in a car trunk, and the newly founded Church of Scientology—all elements of a screen-worthy plot described as “a thrilling cocktail of corruption and ambition.”
Join Tapper, in conversation with CNN anchor Alisyn Camerota, as he discusses his latest novel, what inspired him to become a writer, and his work covering the non-fictional Washington for CNN.
Book Sale Information
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.