The humble chicken may not be considered an extravagant ingredient, but for master chef Jacques Pépin, it is the one he turns to regularly. Drawing on his new book, Jacques Pépin Art of the Chicken, Pépin reminisces on his life through the lens of the humble bird, from his childhood in rural France, where he chased chickens and watched as his maman turned them into her poulet à la crème, to his demanding apprenticeship and long, illustrious career cooking for Charles de Gaulle and his family, turning down the role of chef in the Kennedy White House to work at Howard Johnson’s, and appearing on television alongside luminaries like Julia Child.
Spend a delightful evening as Pépin engages in conversation with J. Kenji López-Alt, New York Times food columnist, and author of bestselling cookbooks The Wok and The Food Lab. They discuss Pépin’s lifelong love of chickens, his celebrated paintings of them, and recipes from the book, as well as the poignant and humorous stories behind them.
Jacques Pépin's Art of the Chicken (Harvest) is available for purchase.
Book Sale Information from Local Bookseller
- Bold Fork Books
- Purchase your copy of Art of the Chicken by Jacques Pépin.
- SPECIAL NOTE: Bold Fork Books is offering a 10% discount to Smithsonian Associates ticket-holders. To claim your discount, enter the code SMITHSONIAN10 (no space between letters and numbers) in the “Coupon” line on Bold Folk Books' check-out page.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for online programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our online programs presented on Zoom.