This program is over.
Hope you didn't miss it! Browse other programs we offer.
Introduction to Calligraphy: The Foundational Hand
8-Session Daytime Course
Saturday, October 17 to December 12, 2020 – 2:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. ET (no class Nov. 28)
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Online registration is required.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
This class offers an introduction in the basic calligraphic strokes that make up the Foundational Hand, the starting point for learning other hands such as Italic and Black Letter. Students will begin forming these letterforms first by using dual pencils and then the broad-edged pen. They will acquire the necessary skills and understanding in drawing guide lines, determining heights, and letter spacing.
Both the Roman minuscules (lower case) and majuscules (upper case) will be covered as well as basic layout and design. As time permits, demonstrations of variations of the Foundational are given.
No experience is necessary. All that students need is enthusiasm and a willingness to devote time to laying down a solid foundation for future study in calligraphy.
Download the supply list for this class
- The instructor is Sharmila Karamchandani.
- 8 sessions, 2.5 hours each (no class Nov. 28)
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.