Along with Italic and Roman type, Blackletter, sometimes called Old English, served as one of the major typefaces in the history of Western typography. Of the various styles of Blackletter calligraphy, Textura is the one most associated with the Gothic aesthetic. Students discover its history, origins, and special characteristics and, through class demonstrations and practice, learn the use of proper proportions and construction of minuscule and majuscule letters, numbers, and punctuation marks. In a culminating individual project, students plan their layout, use colored inks, choose appropriate writing surfaces, and consider the importance of design.
Special Program Information
- The instructor is Sharmila Karamchandani.
- This program includes 8 sessions, 2.5 hours each.
- Class will not be held on November 25.
- NOTE: Registration will close for this program at 3 p.m. ET on Friday, October 13, 2023.
- This studio arts program is a Zoom Meeting to allow for patron and instructor interaction online.
- All Studio Arts programs require an online ticket for each participant so that the instructor can provide individual attention to every student registered for the online program.
- This program will be recorded. Please see our FAQ for recording terms and conditions.
- Please refer to the "Materials for this program" section for any applicable supply list information and/or special documents for this program.
- View Common FAQs and Policies about our Online Programs on Zoom.