Save when you purchase the In Their Own Words series!
Memorable autobiographies, experiences told through the eyes and words of the author, are powerful evocations not just of a person, but a time and place, vividly transporting us inside the world of another to experience life as they did.
Documentary filmmaker and writer Sara Lukinson looks at three remarkable lives filled with joys, hopes, war, exile, family, and the complexities of the human heart. Each writer recounts lost worlds and the unexpected lives of their youth: a colorful family in Egypt; ill-fated liberal Russian aristocrats; and, writing from the trenches of World War I, a soldier-poet tells of war from the ground level.
Each session includes readings from the featured work and archival film clips and stills.
Lukinson, whose films have received three Emmys and seven Writer’s Guild Awards, teaches at NYU and the 92nd Street Y. Her personal essays have appeared in the New York Times, Washington Post, and Intima: A Journal of Narrative Medicine.
Good-Bye to All That by Robert Graves
Written by one of the great poets of the 20th century, this is one of the first books ever written about war from the soldier’s point of view. It provided powerful personal insights into the realities of WWI and the end of an era of British life.
If you are interested in additional In Their Own Words sessions, see below:
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.