Dickens's Dream (detail), by Robert William Buss, 1875
Question: Which is your favorite Dickens novel? Answer: The last one you’ve read!
There’s no writer quite like Charles Dickens. He was once so beloved that readers waited for the latest installment of his serialized novels the way viewers would wait for the next episode of “Game of Thrones” and “The Sopranos” or how eager young Harry Potter fans anticipated the newest tale of his exploits.
Join author and humanities scholar Clay Jenkinson for a discussion of three Dickens novels: Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, and Nicholas Nickleby. (The first two are relatively short in length, and the third is, well, Dickensian in length.)
In a program that includes clips from superb film adaptations of these novels, Jenkinson offers the serious but playful look at Dickens you’ve always wanted—an exploration of the fabulous and fantastic imagination of a timeless author who could write English prose as if it were iambic pentameter poetry.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
- Unless otherwise noted, registration for streaming programs typically closes two hours prior to the start time on the date of the program.
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.