Please call us at 202-633-3030 to register for this Overnight Tour, so we may confirm your room arrangements.
Hiking in Shenandoah National Park
Depart: Sunday, May 3, 2020 - 8:30 a.m.
Return: Monday, May 4, 2020 - 7:30 p.m.
Double Room Non-Member
Single Room Non-Member
A hiker’s view of Shenandoah National Park (National Park Service)
Virginia’s fabled Skyline Drive weaves through the length of Shenandoah National Park, one of the region’s top draws for hikers. In a two-day active getaway designed for outdoor lovers, explore Blue Ridge trails at the height of their spring beauty, and stay at an historic lodge on Skyline Drive that offers magnificent panoramic views of the mountain landscapes.
More spectacular views can be found as naturalist Keith Tomlinson leads easy-to-moderate hikes to the park’s Stony Man Summit, Hawksbill Mountain, Limberlost Trail, and Rose River area, offering insights into the area’s history, geology, wildlife, and forest environment. He also offers an evening program on the geography of Shenandoah National Park—the perfect way to prepare for another day spent on the trails.
Preferred-room accommodations at the iconic Skylands lodge, which dates to the late 1880s, feature private balconies that survey the area from Skyline Drive's highest elevation of 3,680 feet. Pack your hiking gear and get ready to experience the natural splendor of spring in an unforgettable way.
The two days include approximately 8 miles of hiking. Please note: This tour requires hiking on uneven natural terrain; participants should be in good physical condition.
- Stony Man Summit (approx. 2 miles, easy/moderate)
- Lumberlost Trail (approx. 3 miles, easy/moderate)
- Hawksbill (approx. 3 miles, moderate)
- Cost includes bus transportation, lodging, all activities, and the following meals: picnic box lunch en route, dinner and breakfast at Skylands, and lunch at Big Meadows Lodge.
- Overnight accommodations are at the iconic Skylands lodge.
- Tour departs by bus from the Mayflower Hotel, Connecticut Ave. and DeSales St., NW, with a pick-up stop at the Vienna Metro at approximately 9 a.m.
- Single-room supplement $85 (factored into the Single Room Member and Single Room Non-Member pricing).
- Singles registering at the double-room rate are paired (on a nonsmoking basis) if possible, but must pay the single-room supplement otherwise.
- Detailed information is mailed to registrants about four weeks prior to departure.
- Registrants may want to consider purchasing trip insurance.
Detailed information for overnight tours
is mailed approximately FOUR WEEKS
prior to departure.