HBO's "Between the World and Me"
A Conversation Featuring Kamilah Forbes, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Susan Kelechi Watson, and Roger Ross Williams
Members-Only Evening Program
Monday, November 23, 2020 - 6:45 p.m. ET
STREAMING PROGRAM INFORMATION
- This program is part of our Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.
- Platform: Zoom
- Program is free to Smithsonian Associates members; online registration is required.
- Each member household is subject to a maximum of two tickets.
- If you register multiple individuals, you will be asked to supply individual names and email addresses so they can receive a Zoom link email. Please note that if there is a change in program schedule or a cancellation, we will notify you via email, and it will be your responsibility to notify other registrants in your group.
On Saturday, November 21, HBO premieres a special event based on Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me—a gripping adaption of the New York Times bestselling book and the 2018 Apollo stage performance of the same name. Anchored by an ensemble performance—featuring Mahershala Ali, Angela Bassett, Yara Shahidi, Oprah Winfrey, and others—this HBO special event embodies Coates’ letter to his 15-year-old son on coming of age in Black America.
From Jharrell Jerome delivering the pains of growing up in Baltimore’s inner city to Susan Kelechi Watson evoking the HBCU experience, “Between The World And Me” is an urgent story of hope and resiliency, exploring Coates’ vision of a race built beneath white supremacy, and a people built despite it. Made in the age of Breonna Taylor and the coronavirus pandemic, the film reimagines Coates’ book, taking on new urgency against a backdrop of global protests for Black Lives. The HBO special combines elements of the Apollo production, spirited music, documentary footage from the actors’ home life, archival footage, artwork, and animation.
Smithsonian Associates members are invited to stream an exclusive November 23 panel discussion featuring award-winning director and Apollo Theater executive producer Kamilah Forbes, executive producer Ta-Nehisi Coates, executive producer Susan Kelechi Watson, and executive producer Roger Ross Williams.
The event is presented in collaboration with the National Museum of African American History and Culture and HBO.
View the production’s trailer.
UPDATED PATRON INFORMATION
- Once registered, patrons should receive an automatic email confirmation from CustomerService@SmithsonianAssociates.org.
- Separate Zoom link information will be emailed closer to the date of the program. If you do not receive your Zoom link information 24 hours prior to the start of the program, please email Customer Service for assistance.
- View Common FAQs about our Streaming Programs on Zoom.
This program is part of our
Smithsonian Associates Streaming series.